Camp Elim 2.0:
Our Haven For Kids and the Gospel
Camp Elim 1.0
In 1946, the leaders of the Christian Home for Children in Colorado Springs were looking for a spot to send the children for a few days in the summer. As they searched, they found Colorado College’s geological camp near Woodland Park. For the next two or three years, they conducted week-long camps for their kids at that site, which went by the name of Camp Ewing.
In 1959, it was discovered that Camp Ewing was for sale. The plan was set into motion to purchase the buildings while leasing the land from the Forest Service. In 1960, the purchase was completed and Camp Ewing became Camp Elim! Summer programs began in 1961.
Did You Know?
Camp Elim’s name came from Exodus 15:27. After wandering in the wilderness, the children of Israel “came to Elim, where there were twelve springs of water and seventy palm trees, and they encamped there by the water.”
The vision was cast. Camp Elim would provide an oasis or haven for children where they could be refreshed spiritually and develop their relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Camp Elim 2.0
In the early 1990s, two duplexes were built to house adult staff and guests. In 2000, Camp’s Chapel was built allowing the focal point of the summer programs to move from the basement of the Lodge to a beautiful and functional new centerpiece of Camp.
In 2008, Camp’s staff and board of directors worked toward the vision of “Equipping Today and Ensuring Tomorrow.” Existing facilities were in great need of an upgrade. Gaining ownership of the land that had been leased for so many years became a priority.
Over the next nine years, the main circle of buildings was transformed-with the East Dorm becoming Summit Lodge, the North Dorm becoming Northwoods Lodge, and the Rec Shelter becoming Canyon Lodge. A facelift to the main Lodge and a finishing of the Chapel basement were further improvements that enhanced the growing ministry. A new ropes course and tandem zip line added a new dimension to the adventure aspect of Camp!